Escape from the Barter Islands!
The Cleveland Fed’s most popular online game for more than a decade has been updated and re-released, as a web-based game and a mobile app, in both English and Spanish!
Get Ready to Trade!
You’re Robbie. You’re a sailor. You’re shipwrecked! How will you get home??
- To begin playing the game, click on either the English or Spanish language version.
- Robbie has wrecked his ship and needs help getting home by locating a sail on one of the Barter Islands.
- After collecting oranges on Orange Island, visit each of the Barter Islands to make trades for important items that will help Robbie in his quest for a sail.
- On each of the Barter Islands, you will meet with the Chief who will provide instructions about how to make your trades successfully.
- The faster you trade, the more points you will earn.
About the game
The Cleveland Fed’s interactive Escape from the Barter Islands teaches students the fundamentals of a barter system and the value of a uniform and acceptable currency. Players must help Robbie, who’s stranded on the Barter Islands, purchase a sail for his boat and return home by trading coconuts, apples, bananas, fish, bread, and more.
Play anywhere by downloading Escape from the Barter Islands from the Google Play store or the App store, or visit the Barter Islands at our game kiosk in our Cleveland Fed Money Museum. This interactive game is available in both English and Spanish. Check out our other interactive games while you’re on clevelandfed.org.
Get interactive with our money, finance, economics and Fed themed online activities