Data Updates

Data Updates

Keeping you up to date on the latest data releases.

September 2014

  • 11.20.2013
  • Retail Sales
  • Total retail sales increased at a nonannualized rate of 0.4 percent in October and year-over-year sales are up 3.9 percent. Auto sales increased 1.4 percent. Over the past 12 months, retail sales excluding autos have increased 0.2 percent. Contributing to the monthly gain in total sales were improvements in sporting goods and hobbies (up 1.6 percent), electronics and appliances (up 1.4 percent), clothing and accessories (up 1.4 percent), and motor vehicles and parts (up 1.3 percent). Sectors that saw the largest declines in October were building materials (down −1.9 percent) and gasoline stations (down −0.6). A less volatile indicator of sales growth, “core” retail sales—which excludes sales of autos, building supplies, and gas stations—increased 0.4 percent in October. Year-over-year core retail sales are up 4.0 percent.