Westerbork | 50-cent note
Following the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands in 1940, the Dutch-established refugee camp, Westerbork, began functioning as a transit facility. Inhabitants were forced to exchange their property for scrip, with 20 percent of the value deducted to provide funds to operate the camp. The scrip issued at Westerbork is elaborate and was issued in four denominations used to purchase rations. The denominations appear on the front with an overview of the camp, including the chimney of the camp’s laundry and a vignette of the main road of the camp. This road was known as the “Boulevard des Misères,” or the “Boulevard of Miseries.” The reverse shows a silhouette of the camp and an industrial gear. To the Nazis, the gear propagated the false idea that hard work would result in freedom.