Speeches and Other Commentary
- Housing and the Federal Reserve
- In remarks at an Ohio Housing Conference, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland President Sandra Pianalto discussed the actions taken by the Federal Reserve to put the economy on the road to recovery, ensure the safety of the financial sector, and to protect consumers and borrowers.
- Emerging from Recession: Implications for Growth, Inflation, and Monetary Policy
- In a speech in New York City, Cleveland Federal Reserve Bank President Sandra Pianalto comments on current economic conditions, explains why she thinks the country&rsqo;s economic recovery will be gradual and bumpy, and gives her thoughts on what this gradual path to recovery may mean for inflation and monetary policy.
- President Pianalto Addresses Economic Recovery and the Expansion Beyond
- In remarks at an equity investment conference in Louisville, Kentucky, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland President and CEO Sandra Pianalto discussed four forces that will help pull the U.S. economy out of its steep decline and why several long-standing imbalances within the economy will likely cause the recovery to proceed slowly. She also described some structural changes in the labor market and the drivers that will lead the country again to long-term prosperity.
- Steps toward a New Financial Regulatory Architecture
- In remarks to Ohio bankers in Columbus, Ohio, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland President and CEO Sandra Pianalto explained her economic outlook and the Federal Reserve’s recent actions. She also proposed a new framework for categorizing financial institutions based on the degree of risk they pose to the financial system; and endorsed “macroprudential supervision.”
- Forces for Economic Recovery
- In remarks to the Regional Growth Partnership in Maumee, Ohio, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland President and CEO Sandra Pianalto discussed the economic challenges facing both the U.S. economy and the regional economy; forces that will lead to economic recovery; and the Federal Reserve’s strategy for dealing with the challenges we are facing.
- Economic Stress and Forces for Recovery
- At the Commercial Developers Power Breakfast in Columbus, Ohio, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland President and CEO Sandra Pianalto discussed the economic challenges facing the U.S., explained why the outlook for 2009 will be strongly influenced by developments in the housing and financial markets, described four forces that will lead the country into economic recovery, and talked about the Federal Reserve?s strategy for dealing with the current challenges.